Diet and exercise may be a good combination to lose weight but they may not be enough to help flatten your belly. A lot of people despite doing regular crunches and sit-ups, feel that they are getting nowhere when it comes to toning their belly area.
It is undeniably difficult to flatten the abdominal area because of several reasons. The idea of some people of what a flat tummy should be is not viable. Actually, even some fit and toned people could not achieve a fully flat belly. This is typically true especially for women because their genes would allow them to allocate certain amount of fat in the belly area that comes in handy during pregnancy because the fat is used as a cushion for the growing fetus.
The fat belly area cannot only be accounted for the excess abdominal fat or the absence of musculature in the belly area. Abdominal bloating and distension can also be the reason for having a fat belly area. If you turn your attention to these problem areas, it would be easier to deal with the dilemma of having a fat belly. Aside from crunches and sit-ups, check out these 5 ways to flatten your belly and have the abs that you’ve been dreaming of.
1. Correct your posture. Many people don’t realize that even a flat abdomen can look fuller if you have a bad posture. And unfortunately, most people are unaware of their poor posture. In addition to your abdominal crunches, it would make a difference if you also do exercises that can improve your posture. Standing against a wall with your back pressed against it and your stomach muscles tightened is a good indication of what good posture should be. Until the time that having a good posture becomes a second nature to you, you’ll notice your belly area looks the way you want it to be.
2. Lessen your intake of gas producing foods. If you have too much of beans and vegetables in your diet, chances are, you will experience abdominal distension and bloating because of too much gas. Broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage are also known as cruciferous vegetables and discerned to be gas producers. Most beans, which include soybeans, are also on the same category. This means that if you take too much of soy based products; you can be prone to abdominal distension and bloating. These can also happen if your diet is too high on fiber or worse, you rapidly increase your fiber intake. Avoid eating too much of gas producing foods to help flatten your belly.
3. Change your lifestyle Habits for the better. Lack of sleep and excessive stress are two of the major factors that can cause abdominal fats. Your abdominal fat will increase if you also increase the secretion of cortisol in your body. If you don’t have enough sleep and you are always stressed, then the secretion of cortisol is definitely escalating which can lead to your fat belly. If you can’t avoid being stressed, at least find an effective way to deal with stress, and have at least 7 hours of sleep every night.
4. Avoid using artificial sweeteners. Sugarless products like chewing gum may seem healthy but in reality, they contain artificial sweetener that can also cause abdominal distension and bloating. When you are chewing gum, you allow air to be swallowed and this can cause abdominal fullness. If you have the habit of chewing sugarless gum, stop. It can make a difference to help flatten your belly.
5. Intensify your Cardio. If you want to flatten your belly area, you need to remind yourself that it’s not all about abdominal exercises. Even if you do hundreds of crunches and sit-ups every day, your abdomen will still look fuller if you have too much body fats all over your body. It would be a lot better if you also do exercises that will help strengthen your cardio system to help burn fat effectively and faster.
The above suggestions are just 5 of the many ways to flatten your belly. You don’t just focus on abdominal exercises but rather address the problems totally to make a difference.